This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A type I hypersensitivity to latex is evident if the nurse assesses: A. Localized swelling B. ... (Read 26 times)

Tirant22

A type I hypersensitivity to latex is evident if the nurse assesses:

A. Localized swelling
  B. Skin redness and itching
  C. Runny eyes and nose and cough
  D. Tachycardia, hypotension, and wheezing

Question 2

The patient is a 1-year-old male infant who is admitted with possible sepsis. The patient is irritable and agitates easily. What should the nurse do to assess the patient's temperature?

a. Take an oral temperature before doing anything else.
  b. Take an axillary temperature using the upper axilla.
  c. Place the child in Sims' position for a rectal temperature.
  d. Take a rectal temperature as the last vital sign.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jjorrostieta

Answer to Question 1

D
D. Type I allergic reaction is a true latex allergy that can be life-threatening. Reactions vary based on type of latex protein and degree of individual sensitivity, including local and systemic. Symptoms include hives, generalized edema, itching, rash, wheezing, bronchospasm, difficulty breathing, laryngeal edema, diarrhea, nausea, hypotension, tachycardia, and respiratory or cardiac arrest.
A and C. Type IV hypersensitivity is a cell-mediated allergic reaction to chemicals used in latex processing. Reaction can be delayed up to 48 hours, including redness, itching, and hives. Localized swelling, red and itchy or runny eyes and nose, and coughing may develop.
B. Irritant dermatitis is a nonallergic response characterized by skin redness and itching.

Answer to Question 2

D
Critically ill children sometimes have cool skin but a high core temperature because of poor perfusion to the skin. Children may assume the prone position for rectal temperature measurement. With children who cry or are restless, it is best to take temperature as the last vital sign. Use axillary temperatures for screening purposes only, not to detect fevers in infants and young children. Use the lower axilla to record temperature in side-lying infants.

Tirant22

Reply 2 on: Jul 24, 2018
Gracias!

xiazhe

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Recent studies have shown that the number of medication errors increases in relation to the number of orders that are verified per pharmacist, per work shift.

Did you know?

People with high total cholesterol have about two times the risk for heart disease as people with ideal levels.

Did you know?

The heart is located in the center of the chest, with part of it tipped slightly so that it taps against the left side of the chest.

Did you know?

More than 2,500 barbiturates have been synthesized. At the height of their popularity, about 50 were marketed for human use.

Did you know?

Hip fractures are the most serious consequences of osteoporosis. The incidence of hip fractures increases with each decade among patients in their 60s to patients in their 90s for both women and men of all populations. Men and women older than 80 years of age show the highest incidence of hip fractures.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library