This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient who has osteoarthritis is scheduled to have knee surgery. The patient takes aspirin for MI ... (Read 69 times)

danielfitts88

A patient who has osteoarthritis is scheduled to have knee surgery. The patient takes aspirin for MI prophylaxis and naproxen (Naprosyn) for pain and inflammation.

Which statement by the patient to the primary care NP indicates a need for further teaching? a. I should stop taking aspirin at least 5 days before surgery.
  b. I will check with the surgeon to see if I need to stop taking the naproxen.
  c. I will need to stop taking both medications 1 week before I have surgery.
  d. Both of these medications interfere with platelet production and may cause blood clots.

Question 2

A patient who has hypothyroidism has been taking levothyroxine 50 mcg daily for 2 weeks. The patient reports continued fatigue. The primary care NP should:

a. order a T4 level today.
  b. increase the dose to 100 mcg.
  c. check the TSH level in 1 week.
  d. reassure the patient that this will improve in several weeks.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

bob

Answer to Question 1

C
Although both medications interfere with platelet formation, some NSAIDs may continue to be taken before surgery, depending on the procedure and the surgeon preference. The patient should stop taking aspirin 5 days before surgery.

Answer to Question 2

C
Full therapeutic effectiveness may not be achieved for 3 to 6 weeks. Measuring the TSH level is indicated to evaluate drug effectiveness. The dose should not be increased without first evaluating the patient's TSH level.

bob

Did you know?

Adolescents often feel clumsy during puberty because during this time of development, their hands and feet grow faster than their arms and legs do. The body is therefore out of proportion. One out of five adolescents actually experiences growing pains during this period.

Did you know?

Drug abusers experience the following scenario: The pleasure given by their drug (or drugs) of choice is so strong that it is difficult to eradicate even after years of staying away from the substances involved. Certain triggers may cause a drug abuser to relapse. Research shows that long-term drug abuse results in significant changes in brain function that persist long after an individual stops using drugs. It is most important to realize that the same is true of not just illegal substances but alcohol and tobacco as well.

Did you know?

Critical care patients are twice as likely to receive the wrong medication. Of these errors, 20% are life-threatening, and 42% require additional life-sustaining treatments.

Did you know?

An identified risk factor for osteoporosis is the intake of excessive amounts of vitamin A. Dietary intake of approximately double the recommended daily amount of vitamin A, by women, has been shown to reduce bone mineral density and increase the chances for hip fractures compared with women who consumed the recommended daily amount (or less) of vitamin A.

Did you know?

Giardia is one of the most common intestinal parasites worldwide, and infects up to 20% of the world population, mostly in poorer countries with inadequate sanitation. Infections are most common in children, though chronic Giardia is more common in adults.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library