Author Question: The nurse is instructing a patient about adverse effects associated with corticosteroid therapy. ... (Read 163 times)

melina_rosy

The nurse is instructing a patient about adverse effects associated with corticosteroid therapy. What information would be important to include? (Select all that apply.)

a. Avoid crowds or people with an infection.
  b. Monitor and care for your skin daily; change positions frequently.
  c. Take medication on an empty stomach.
  d. During periods of physical or psychological stress, higher doses of corticosteroids are necessary. Contact your health care provider.
  e. Follow a diet low in sodium.

Question 2

Which statement(s) made by a patient on a corticosteroid medication show(s) a need for further education?

a. I should increase my potassium intake.
  b. I may have to decrease my fluid intake.
  c. I will avoid weight-bearing measures.
  d. I will change position frequently.

zhanghao

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A, B, D, E
Corticosteroid therapy patients should avoid large crowds or people with an infection.
Patients taking corticosteroid drugs should monitor for signs of edema, skin breakdown, and weight daily. During periods of physical or psychological stress, increased dosing may be necessary. Patients taking corticosteroid drugs should follow a low-sodium diet that is also high in potassium, if not contraindicated. Corticosteroids should be taken with food to avoid gastrointestinal upset.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Weight-bearing measures should be encouraged for the patient taking corticosteroids to prevent calcium loss. An increase in potassium is often necessary when on corticosteroids. Fluid restrictions may be imposed when taking corticosteroids. Position should be changed at least every 2 hours for the patient taking corticosteroids.