This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is preparing to provide personal care to a patient with peripheral vascular disease. When ... (Read 59 times)

itsmyluck

The nurse is preparing to provide personal care to a patient with peripheral vascular disease. When providing foot care, the nurse will

a. assist the patient to a supine position.
  b. keep feet moistened with lotion.
  c. trim toenails daily.
  d. change socks daily.

Question 2

The nurse has completed teaching to a patient recently prescribed cilostazol (Pletal). Which statement by the patient indicates a need for further teaching?

a. I will sit down if I feel lightheaded or faint.
  b. Because this medication helps my circulation, I will try to quit smoking.
  c. Grapefruit juice will increase the effects of this medication.
  d. Diarrhea may occur but likely will stop with continued therapy.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

coyin

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
To avoid skin breakdown, the patient should change socks daily. Blood flow is improved when the head of the bed is elevated 12 to 16 inches. Supine position is contraindicated. Feet should be kept dry on a person with peripheral vascular disease. Toenails should be trimmed when necessary, preferably by a podiatrist.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Grapefruit juice inhibits the metabolism of cilostazol and would decrease the effects of the medication. Sitting down when feeling lightheaded is an appropriate patient action. Smoking may limit the benefits of taking cilostazol. Diarrhea is usually mild and tends to resolve with continued therapy.

itsmyluck

Both answers were spot on, thank you once again

Did you know?

Russia has the highest death rate from cardiovascular disease followed by the Ukraine, Romania, Hungary, and Poland.

Did you know?

Approximately one in four people diagnosed with diabetes will develop foot problems. Of these, about one-third will require lower extremity amputation.

Did you know?

Acute bronchitis is an inflammation of the breathing tubes (bronchi), which causes increased mucus production and other changes. It is usually caused by bacteria or viruses, can be serious in people who have pulmonary or cardiac diseases, and can lead to pneumonia.

Did you know?

Drugs are in development that may cure asthma and hay fever once and for all. They target leukotrienes, which are known to cause tightening of the air passages in the lungs and increase mucus productions in nasal passages.

Did you know?

Pregnant women usually experience a heightened sense of smell beginning late in the first trimester. Some experts call this the body's way of protecting a pregnant woman from foods that are unsafe for the fetus.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library