This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient taking stavudine Zerit telephones the clinic and reports numbness and tingling in the ... (Read 77 times)

SO00

A patient taking stavudine Zerit telephones the clinic and reports numbness and tingling in the hands and feet. What should the nurse tell the patient?

a) The numbness is an expected side effect of the medication and will diminish once the drug is withdrawn.
  b) The medication will probably be stopped, and the patient should come into the clinic for further evaluation.
  c) The dose may be too high, and the patient should cut the tablet in half.
  d) The patient should take the medication on a full stomach to reduce absorption of the drug.

Question 2

A patient will receive oral ciprofloxacin Cipro to treat a urinary tract infection. The nurse provides teaching for this patient. Which statement by the patient indicates a need for further teaching?

a) I may have abdominal pain and nausea, but these are usually mild.
  b) I should take this medication with food or milk to improve absorption.
  c) I should stop taking the medication immediately if I experience heel pain.
  d) I will need to use sunscreen every time I go outdoors.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

cloudre37

Answer to Question 1

b) The medication will probably be stopped, and the patient should come into the clinic for further evaluation.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Dairy products inhibit the absorption of ciprofloxacin, so they should be avoided. Abdominalpain and nausea and vomiting are common and usually mild. Patients should stop taking thedrug if heel pain occurs until tendonitis has been ruled out. Photosensitivity can occur, sosunscreen should be used

SO00

Reply 2 on: Jul 24, 2018
Wow, this really help

xiazhe

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Patients who cannot swallow may receive nutrition via a parenteral route—usually, a catheter is inserted through the chest into a large vein going into the heart.

Did you know?

Eating carrots will improve your eyesight. Carrots are high in vitamin A (retinol), which is essential for good vision. It can also be found in milk, cheese, egg yolks, and liver.

Did you know?

Ether was used widely for surgeries but became less popular because of its flammability and its tendency to cause vomiting. In England, it was quickly replaced by chloroform, but this agent caused many deaths and lost popularity.

Did you know?

Multiple sclerosis is a condition wherein the body's nervous system is weakened by an autoimmune reaction that attacks the myelin sheaths of neurons.

Did you know?

Stevens-Johnson syndrome and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis syndrome are life-threatening reactions that can result in death. Complications include permanent blindness, dry-eye syndrome, lung damage, photophobia, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, permanent loss of nail beds, scarring of mucous membranes, arthritis, and chronic fatigue syndrome. Many patients' pores scar shut, causing them to retain heat.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library