This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The chapter opens with Indonesia is a country of astounding cultural diversity . . . What historical ... (Read 17 times)

Melani1276

The chapter opens with Indonesia is a country of astounding cultural diversity . . . What historical factors led to its unification and independence in 1949?

What will be an ideal response?

Question 2

Who is Ilaiyaraja? Give an example of his ability to synthesize East/West musical elements (answers may vary).

What will be an ideal response?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

bookworm410

Answer to Question 1

Formerly known as the Dutch East Indies, European colonial domination imposed geographical borders and a single rule over highly diverse peoples living throughout a vast archipelagosee map in WOM, p. 300. Further unification of this area occurred with the adoption of national language in the early twentieth century, culminating with revolution against the Dutch (1945-1949) and the achievement of Indonesia's independence.

Answer to Question 2

• Ilaiyaraja is contemporary South Indian film composer and song writer with superstar status.

• For example, in his I Met Bach at My House, he mixes the Carnatic music style with a prelude by J. S. Bach that is played by a solo violin in South Indian style.

Melani1276

Reply 2 on: Jul 25, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

cici

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Many of the drugs used by neuroscientists are derived from toxic plants and venomous animals (such as snakes, spiders, snails, and puffer fish).

Did you know?

Aspirin may benefit 11 different cancers, including those of the colon, pancreas, lungs, prostate, breasts, and leukemia.

Did you know?

The human body produces and destroys 15 million blood cells every second.

Did you know?

Once thought to have neurofibromatosis, Joseph Merrick (also known as "the elephant man") is now, in retrospect, thought by clinical experts to have had Proteus syndrome. This endocrine disease causes continued and abnormal growth of the bones, muscles, skin, and so on and can become completely debilitating with severe deformities occurring anywhere on the body.

Did you know?

The Babylonians wrote numbers in a system that used 60 as the base value rather than the number 10. They did not have a symbol for "zero."

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library