This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: I live 20 minutes from Center City. How is this statement similar to giving astronomical distances ... (Read 18 times)

saraeharris

I live 20 minutes from Center City. How is this statement similar to giving astronomical distances in light-years?

What will be an ideal response?

Question 2

From what you know about astronomical units and light-years, how would you define a light-minute?

What will be an ideal response?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

sierrahalpin

Answer to Question 1

Twenty minutes is a measurement of time. In this case, the person speaking is referring to the time it takes to travel from City Center to home. If someone says an object is a distance of a certain number of light years, this is incorrect. Light-years is a measurement of distance. It is a common misperception that a light-year is a unit of time, because it has the word year.

Answer to Question 2

A light-minute is the distance light travels in a minute, or (3.0  108 m)(60 s) = 18  106 km.

saraeharris

Reply 2 on: Jul 27, 2018
Excellent

juliaf

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Approximately 70% of expectant mothers report experiencing some symptoms of morning sickness during the first trimester of pregnancy.

Did you know?

In 2012, nearly 24 milliion Americans, aged 12 and older, had abused an illicit drug, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA).

Did you know?

The human body produces and destroys 15 million blood cells every second.

Did you know?

On average, someone in the United States has a stroke about every 40 seconds. This is about 795,000 people per year.

Did you know?

Only one in 10 cancer deaths is caused by the primary tumor. The vast majority of cancer mortality is caused by cells breaking away from the main tumor and metastasizing to other parts of the body, such as the brain, bones, or liver.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library