This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An astronaut is piloting a spacecraft, which is in a circular orbit around Earth. A space station is ... (Read 122 times)

ishan

An astronaut is piloting a spacecraft, which is in a circular orbit around Earth. A space station is ahead, on the same circular orbit. If he fires his rockets briefly to decrease the forward speed of the rocket, what will happen?

What will be an ideal response?

Question 2

As a spaceship is moving toward Earth, an Earthling measures its length to be 325 m, while the captain on board radios that her spaceship's length is 1150 m.

(c = 3.00  108 m/s)
  (a) How fast is the rocket moving relative to Earth?
  (b) What is the TOTAL energy of a 75.0-kg crewman as measured by (i) the captain in the rocket and (ii) the Earthling?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Yixagurpuldink

Answer to Question 1

The spacecraft will be put into an elliptical orbit with an apogee equal to the original radius. The average radius of this orbit is smaller, so it will take less time to complete one revolution. So if the speed increment is calculated correctly, when he completes one revolution, bringing him back to the original radius, he could be caught up with the station. At that point, a forward burst could put him in the same circular orbit as the station.

Answer to Question 2

(a) 0.959c = 2.88  108 m/s
(b) (i) 6.75  1018 J (ii) 2.39  1019 J

ishan

Reply 2 on: Jul 29, 2018
Excellent

fatboyy09

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

The term pharmacology is derived from the Greek words pharmakon("claim, medicine, poison, or remedy") and logos ("study").

Did you know?

Certain chemicals, after ingestion, can be converted by the body into cyanide. Most of these chemicals have been removed from the market, but some old nail polish remover, solvents, and plastics manufacturing solutions can contain these substances.

Did you know?

The most common treatment options for addiction include psychotherapy, support groups, and individual counseling.

Did you know?

The eye muscles are the most active muscles in the whole body. The external muscles that move the eyes are the strongest muscles in the human body for the job they have to do. They are 100 times more powerful than they need to be.

Did you know?

The strongest synthetic topical retinoid drug available, tazarotene, is used to treat sun-damaged skin, acne, and psoriasis.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library