This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: List the symptoms, mode of transmission, and treatment options for herpes simplex virus type 2 ... (Read 64 times)

mmm

List the symptoms, mode of transmission, and treatment options for herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2).

What will be an ideal response?

Question 2

List four common myths and four facts about sexually transmitted infections.

What will be an ideal response?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

voltaire123

Answer to Question 1

Typical Symptoms:
Often asymptomatic. Clusters of small, painful blisters in genital and anal areas or around mouth. General flu-like symptoms: mild fever, fatigue, and tenderness in lymph nodes, perhaps urinary pain.

Mode of Transmission:
Oral, vaginal, or anal sexual activities; kissing.

Treatment:
No cure. Treated with antiherpetic drugs (acyclovir, famciclovir, valacyclovir).

Answer to Question 2

Myth
- Only people who have sex with many partners get STIs.
- Condoms don't prevent STIs.
- A lack of any symptoms of an STI probably means no infection.
- I don't know anyone who has an STI; it must not be a problem in my town.
- You can get an STI only from vaginal or anal sex.
- I'm on the pill, so I'm pretty well protected from STIs.

Truth
- A single sexual encounter can transmit an STI; someone's only partner may have other partners.
- Condoms, used correctly, greatly reduce the chances of STI transmission.
- Many STIs hide in the body and not show any obvious or visible symptoms.
- Unfortunately, STIs are everywhere, and often an infected person is unaware of the infection or avoids telling anyone.
- Vaginal and anal intercourse are common routes of transmission, but other activities such as oral sex, intravenous drug use, and do-it-yourself tattooing may transmit STIs as well.

Did you know?

In 1886, William Bates reported on the discovery of a substance produced by the adrenal gland that turned out to be epinephrine (adrenaline). In 1904, this drug was first artificially synthesized by Friedrich Stolz.

Did you know?

Most childhood vaccines are 90–99% effective in preventing disease. Side effects are rarely serious.

Did you know?

The familiar sounds of your heart are made by the heart's valves as they open and close.

Did you know?

Patients who cannot swallow may receive nutrition via a parenteral route—usually, a catheter is inserted through the chest into a large vein going into the heart.

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library