Author Question: Your friend calls you and tells you that his therapist is suggesting cognitive-behavioral therapy ... (Read 92 times)

appyboo

Your friend calls you and tells you that his therapist is suggesting cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT). You mention that you have been learning CBT at your practicum, and that it is an empirically validated therapy. Your friend then asks if you would be willing to conduct phone therapy with him, and he would be willing to pay you to be his therapist. He feels that, because you have known him for a long time, you will be better able to understand his situation than his new therapist. What would be an appropriate response?

A) I would, but I'm not licensed yet. Ask me again after I become licensed.
  B) Sure My hourly rate is 35.
  C) It's actually against my code of ethics to enter into professional relationships with friends. I think you should work with your current therapist, and I would be happy to support you as a friend.
  D) I'd be happy to do therapy with you, but I won't accept payment since you are my friend.

Question 2

Which of the following is an example of a multiple relationship?

A) The client feels that the practitioner is not validating his experiences appropriately, therefore leading to a dueling conflict in the relationship.
  B) The client is the practitioner's dentist, and their children are on the same swim team.
  C) The client is seeing two different practitioners for therapy - one for individual therapy to deal with her anxiety, and one for group therapy to also deal with anxiety.
  D) The client has several relationships with different people, including his wife, his boss, his children, etc.

Missbam101

Answer to Question 1

C

Answer to Question 2

B