Author Question: Why did the tourism industry in Hawai'i decline during the first decade of the 21st century? What ... (Read 36 times)

iveyjurea

Why did the tourism industry in Hawai'i decline during the first decade of the 21st century?

What will be an ideal response?

Question 2

What were some of the locational, economic, and political reasons why the U.S. government was interested in gaining control over the Hawaiian Islands from the earlier monarchies that had long ruled these islands?

What will be an ideal response?

macagnavarro

Answer to Question 1

The student should mention that the tourism that Hawai'i depends on is itself dependent on the global and national economies. With the decline in the global economy in the early 21st century, a corresponding decline happened in tourism in Hawai'i. This led Hawai'i to consider the legalization of gambling to try and boost its tourism.

Answer to Question 2

The U.S. government was interested in gaining control of the Hawaiian Islands as a center to promote trade, and as an advance base for military control of the Pacific.