This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Benedict wrote a plan that dictated every activity a monk should undertake each day. This discipline ... (Read 20 times)

kamilo84

Question 1

As retaliation for Cardinal Humbertus leaving a bull of excommunication, the patriarch declared that all Western popes ________.

A. were enemies of the Byzantine state
   B. had been tools of the Roman Empire under Diocletian
   C. were demoted to bishops
   D. had been heretics since the sixth century
   E. were secret Muslims

Question 2

When the Byzantines encountered religious practices that were deeply tied to a locality, the church might ________.

A. explain why paganism would lead believers to hell
   B. eradicate all the local believers
   C. absorb those practices into Christian practice
   D. destroy the objects or shrines
   E. report the pagans to the imperial authorities

Question 3

In the evolution of the idea of papal primacy, all of the following occurred EXCEPT ________.

A. Pope Leo I took the title pontifex maximus
  B. Pope Damasus I claimed that he was a direct successor to Peter
  C. Pope Stephen II excommunicated the patriarch in Constantinople
  D. Pope Gelasius I claimed that the authority of the clergy over souls was greater than that of kings in the material world
  E. Pope Leo I established the supremacy of the bishop of Rome over all other bishops

Question 4

Benedict wrote a plan that dictated every activity a monk should undertake each day. This discipline and organization ________.

A. brought the Benedictines economic and political power
   B. was adopted by a majority of Christians
   C. threatened potential Muslim invaders
   D. was seen as heresy by the Eastern Orthodox Church
   E. included ten hours of prayer each day