Author Question: Felicia has been diagnosed with bulimia nervosa, purging type. We should expect that she A) is ... (Read 36 times)

future617RT

Felicia has been diagnosed with bulimia nervosa, purging type. We should expect that she

A) is less than 85 percent of normal body weight but still considers herself fat.
  B) strongly denies that she has a serious disorder.
  C) is unconcerned about becoming fat.
  D) experiences electrolyte imbalances and mineral deficiencies.

Question 2

Discuss and describe the five axes of the DSM. Why are five axes necessary?

What will be an ideal response?

cegalasso

Answer to Question 1

D

Answer to Question 2

Axis I includes the disorders for which treatment is usually sought, conditions such as depression and panic
disorder. But describing a client with this diagnostic label alone is not sufficient, other disorders may be present
and an Axis I designation does not provide any information about how the client is currently functioning. Thus,
while an Axis I condition may be the presenting condition, it is important to also determine whether a personality
disorder or other lasting condition is present (Axis II), as well as any medical conditions (Axis III). While Axes I,
II, and III describe psychological and physical status, they do not address the nature of the environment in which
the client must function (Axis IV), nor do they address how the client is currently functioning (Axis V). Thus, in
order to develop an effective treatment plan, all 5 axes are needed.