This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Research suggests that most people have positive illusions. Explain what positive illusions are, ... (Read 62 times)

genevieve1028

Research suggests that most people have positive illusions. Explain what positive illusions are, identify the general function of positive illusions, and identify the three different types of positive illusions that people have. Then give an example of each type of positive illusion.

What will be an ideal response?

Question 2

Marcie is at the pool and her little boy has struck his head on the diving board and is injured. What should Marcie do to make sure her son receives the help he needs? Why?

What will be an ideal response?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

wfdfwc23

Answer to Question 1

a . Positive illusions are distorted, overly positive views of oneself and one's opportunities. They are the norm. They help people to maintain high self-esteem, to have an optimistic and confident outlook on life, and to bounce back in the face of setbacks and failures.
b. The three different types of positive illusions are
i. the above average effect, the tendency for people to overestimate their strengths (and downplay or underestimate their weaknesses).
ii. the tendency for people to overestimate the amount of control that they have over events.
iii. the tendency for people to be overly optimistic.

Answer to Question 2

a . What she should do
i. Pick a face out of the crowd (perhaps a lifeguard not involved in the rescue) and stare at that person, making eye contact.
ii. Point directly at that person and say, You, I need help for my son. He needs an ambulance. Call 9-1-1 now..
b. Why she should do it--because this overcomes all the barriers to helping noted in the five-step model.
i. This insures that the person will notice her (reducing distraction).
ii. It clarifies that Marcie really needs help (overcomes pluralistic ignorance).
iii. It helps clarify that the particular individual Marcie speaks to is responsible for helping (overcomes diffusion of responsibility)
iv. The person will now know exactly what to do (reduces lack of concerns about competence.
v. The person identified should not be inhibited by the audience (reduces audience inhibition).

genevieve1028

Reply 2 on: Jun 22, 2018
:D TYSM

xiazhe

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Certain rare plants containing cyanide include apricot pits and a type of potato called cassava. Fortunately, only chronic or massive ingestion of any of these plants can lead to serious poisoning.

Did you know?

For pediatric patients, intravenous fluids are the most commonly cited products involved in medication errors that are reported to the USP.

Did you know?

Essential fatty acids have been shown to be effective against ulcers, asthma, dental cavities, and skin disorders such as acne.

Did you know?

Serum cholesterol testing in adults is recommended every 1 to 5 years. People with diabetes and a family history of high cholesterol should be tested even more frequently.

Did you know?

As the western states of America were settled, pioneers often had to drink rancid water from ponds and other sources. This often resulted in chronic diarrhea, causing many cases of dehydration and death that could have been avoided if clean water had been available.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library