Author Question: When a person applies for a job and is granted an interview, they are naturally motivated to present ... (Read 11 times)

When a person applies for a job and is granted an interview, they are naturally motivated to present themselves as favorably as possible. How might this lead to intentional or even unintentional faking? What forms might this faking take?

What will be an ideal response?

Question 2

Asch (1956) found that the size of a group of individuals is related to the likelihood that any one of them will demonstrate conformity to the group. The optimal number of in group members, above which conformity did not significantly increase, was

a. 1 or 2
  b. 3 or 4
  c. 5 or 6
  d. 7 or 8

ASDFGJLO

Answer to Question 1

Faking in an employment interviewwhich occurs whenever a job applicant
consciously presents himself or herself in distorted ways in order to create a favorable
impressionmay well compromise the predictive validity of the process. For that
reason, researchers have recently sought to develop a questionnaire that measures
faking. In a series of studies, Julia Levishing and Michael Campion (2007) asked
hundreds of college seniors who were active on the job market to anonymously rate the
degree to which they engaged in various faking behaviors during their most recent
interviews. Some of the behaviors involved outright lying (I claimed that I have skills I
do not have) others involved forms of exaggeration (I exaggerated my
responsibilities on previous jobs), ingratiation (I
laughed at the interviewer's jokes even when they were not funny), and image
protection (When asked directly, I did not mention some problems that I had in past
jobs). It will be interesting in future research to see whether applicants' responses on
this questionnaire can be used to predict their success or failurenot only during the
interview process but also later on the job.

Answer to Question 2

b