This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is promoting participation in The Great American Smokeout for clients who are participating ... (Read 38 times)

LaDunn

A nurse is promoting participation in The Great American Smokeout for clients who are participating in a smoking cessation class.

The nurse knows this event may motivate many individuals to stop smoking by promoting self-efficacy. At the conclusion of the class, which statement leads the nurse to expect a positive outcome for this particular client?
  A) I am afraid of getting lung cancer like my father.
  B) I think this time will be different.
  C) I am going to do the best that I can, so that I won't get lung cancer.
  D) I know that this time I will quit smoking permanently.

Question 2

The nurse is caring for an older adult client who is receiving intravenous fluids at 150 mL/hr. Upon assessment, the nurse notes crackles, shortness of breath, and jugular vein distention.

Based on this data, which complication of IV fluid therapy does the nurse anticipate?
  A) Speed shock
  B) Fluid volume excess
  C) Pulmonary embolism
  D) An allergic reaction

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

djpooyouma

Answer to Question 1

Answer: D

Self-efficacy refers to the level of confidence an individual has about the ability to perform the activity. The client's intention to make a permanent change shows the highest level of determination and motivation. Stating that one will do the best one can or thinking that this attempt at quitting smoking will be different are not highly positive indicators of motivation. Stating fear of getting lung cancer does not address a positive activity.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: B

Fluid volume excess may occur if clients, especially the very young or old, receive IV fluid rapidly. The findings given in this scenario do not support the other options.

LaDunn

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Excellent

deja

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Atropine was named after the Greek goddess Atropos, the oldest and ugliest of the three sisters known as the Fates, who controlled the destiny of men.

Did you know?

The first-known contraceptive was crocodile dung, used in Egypt in 2000 BC. Condoms were also reportedly used, made of animal bladders or intestines.

Did you know?

The people with the highest levels of LDL are Mexican American males and non-Hispanic black females.

Did you know?

Certain topical medications such as clotrimazole and betamethasone are not approved for use in children younger than 12 years of age. They must be used very cautiously, as directed by a doctor, to treat any child. Children have a much greater response to topical steroid medications.

Did you know?

Cytomegalovirus affects nearly the same amount of newborns every year as Down syndrome.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library