Author Question: Describe the exercise. Explain what psychological phenomenon the exercise is meant to illuminate. ... (Read 46 times)

vinney12

Describe the exercise. Explain what psychological phenomenon the exercise is meant to illuminate. Would you expect more personality traits to be flagged

Depends on the situation when filling out the screen for your own personality traits or your friend's personality traits? Why?

Question 2

The type of social influence in which individuals change either their attitudes or behavior to adhere to existing social norms is known as ________.

A) obedience
  B) conformity
  C) ingratiation
  D) cohesiveness
  E) compliance

vickyvicksss

Answer to Question 1

Answer:
The exercise asked me to fill out a short personality assessment for myself and one for a friend. There are about a dozen traits, with an opportunity to select, e.g., shy, outgoing or Depends on the situation. So after I filled out both of these short personality measures, the exercise told me how many times I gave myself a depends on the situation and how many times I gave my friend a depends on the situation. I gave my friend more of those than myself The idea is that I would be apt to give myself more depends on the situation because, according the actor/observer effect, I will think of myself as behaving based on whatever situation I'm in, whereas I will think of my friend as operating from her traits (disposition). Therefore, I should give a friend fewer Depends on the situation than I give myself.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: B