Author Question: Which of the following statements includes a hedge? A) Let's merge the departments. B) I may be ... (Read 91 times)

newbem

Which of the following statements includes a hedge?

A) Let's merge the departments.
  B) I may be wrong, but I think that merging the departments might be a good idea.
  C) Merging the departments is definitely the way to go.
  D) Pardon me for interrupting, but we should merge the departments.
  E) We can merge the departments, can't we?

Question 2

When nonverbal signals reinforce your words, ________.

A) listeners have greater recall
  B) your audience will not have confidence in your words
  C) your nonverbal communication carries less weight than your words
  D) you undermine your persuasiveness
  E) your cues conflict with your message

parshano

Answer to Question 1

Answer: B
Explanation: B) Women tend to minimize the assertiveness of what they say by using hedges, hesitations, and tag questions. A hedge uses qualifiers like may, perhaps, and might to weaken the assertiveness of the statement.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: A
Explanation: A) When gestures and facial expressions complement your message, listeners remember what you say better.