This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A 31-year-old man who has worked for several years installing fiberglass insulation has developed ... (Read 44 times)

laurencescou

A 31-year-old man who has worked for several years installing fiberglass insulation has developed itchy, irritating lesions on his wrists and forearms over the last several months.

He has applied moisturizing creams repeatedly and has taken antihistamines but has experienced no significant improvement. He is understandably concerned about the potential effect this could have on his livelihood and has asked his care provider when treatment will resolve the problem. What is the care provider's most appropriate response?
  A)
  A steroid cream will likely help but often the skin problem lasts long after contact with the product that irritates the skin.
  B)
  You're clearly allergic to the fiberglass in your insulation, and over-the-counter allergy medications are likely to resolve the problem quite rapidly.
  C)
  The problem is that your skin is producing and sloughing off cells prematurely; this will respond well to a topical steroid.
  D)
  There are medications I can prescribe that will cure this sensitivity, but they tend to take many months to take full effect.

Question 2

A 36-year-old female who has experienced diverse symptoms for several years has finally had her health problems attributed to scleroderma (systemic sclerosis) and has committed herself to learning as much about the disease as she can.

Which of her following statements would her nurse want to correct or clarify?
  A)
  I'm surprised that in this day and age, they still don't know what causes scleroderma.
  B)
  I suppose this explains why I have such terrible circulation to my hands and feet.
  C)
  I'm scared by the damage that this could cause to my heart and lungs.
  D)
  The worst part of this so far has been learning that there aren't any treatments for scleroderma.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

helenmarkerine

Answer to Question 1

Ans:
A

Topical corticosteroids are often used in the treatment of irritant contact dermatitis, but symptoms can persist long after contact with the irritant ceases. The course of the man's complaint is suggestive of irritant, not allergic, contact dermatitis. Hyperkeratinization is characteristic of psoriasis, and a sensitivity can be treated but not cured.

Answer to Question 2

Ans:
D

While the cause of scleroderma remains unknown, supportive treatments that address symptoms do exist. Reynaud phenomenon is a very common accompaniment to the disease, and cardiac and pulmonary involvement is common.

laurencescou

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

covalentbond

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Carbamazepine can interfere with the results of home pregnancy tests. If you are taking carbamazepine, do not try to test for pregnancy at home.

Did you know?

According to the Migraine Research Foundation, migraines are the third most prevalent illness in the world. Women are most affected (18%), followed by children of both sexes (10%), and men (6%).

Did you know?

Though newer “smart” infusion pumps are increasingly becoming more sophisticated, they cannot prevent all programming and administration errors. Health care professionals that use smart infusion pumps must still practice the rights of medication administration and have other professionals double-check all high-risk infusions.

Did you know?

The tallest man ever known was Robert Wadlow, an American, who reached the height of 8 feet 11 inches. He died at age 26 years from an infection caused by the immense weight of his body (491 pounds) and the stress on his leg bones and muscles.

Did you know?

The first monoclonal antibodies were made exclusively from mouse cells. Some are now fully human, which means they are likely to be safer and may be more effective than older monoclonal antibodies.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library