Author Question: A male client of a nurse practitioner has an autosomal dominant disorder. The client and his partner ... (Read 46 times)

newbem

A male client of a nurse practitioner has an autosomal dominant disorder. The client and his partner are considering starting a family.

Which of the following statements indicates the client has an adequate understanding of the genetic basis of this health problem?
  A)
  I know there's no way of accurately determining the chance that my child will inherit the disease.
  B)
  My children who don't have the disease still run the risk of passing it on to their children.
  C)
  I know that new genetic mutations won't occur between generations.
  D)
  I know that a single mutant allele is to blame for the health problem.

Question 2

A student is trying to understand the possible reasons that a genetic abnormality might exist in an individual. Which of the following reasons is most plausible?

A)
  DNA has combined with several types of protein and a small amount of RNA.
  B)
  Histones have exerted control on the folding of DNA strands.
  C)
  DNA has blocked genetic transcription by preventing access of nucleotides to the DNA surface.
  D)
  Chromatin has maintained its stable structure during the DNA replication process.

Anonymous

Answer to Question 1

Ans:
D

Autosomal dominant disorders are the result of a single mutant allele from an affected parent. There is a 50 risk of transmission, and unaffected people do not pass on the disorder. New genetic mutations may occur between generations.

Answer to Question 2

Ans:
D

To facilitate DNA replication and gene expression, chromatin must change its structure through the process of chromatin remodeling. Answers A, B, and C all denote normal genetic processes.