Author Question: A nurse cares for a client with autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD). The client ... (Read 70 times)

luminitza

A nurse cares for a client with autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD). The client asks, Will my children develop this disease? How should the nurse respond?

a. No genetic link is known, so your children are not at increased risk.
  b. Your sons will develop this disease because it has a sex-linked gene.
  c. Only if both you and your spouse are carriers of this disease.
  d. Each of your children has a 50 risk of having ADPKD.

Question 2

After teaching a client with early polycystic kidney disease (PKD) about nutritional therapy, the nurse assesses the client's understanding. Which statement made by the client indicates a correct understanding of the teaching?

a. I will take a laxative every night before going to bed.
  b. I must increase my intake of dietary fiber and fluids.
  c. I shall only use salt when I am cooking my own food.
  d. I'll eat white bread to minimize gastrointestinal gas.

batool

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Children whose parent has the autosomal dominant form of PKD have a 50 chance of inheriting the gene that causes the disease. ADPKD is transmitted as an autosomal dominant trait and therefore is not gender specific. Both parents do not need to have this disorder.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Clients with PKD often have constipation, which can be managed with increased fiber, exercise, and drinking plenty of water. Laxatives should be used cautiously. Clients with PKD should be on a restricted salt diet, which includes not cooking with salt. White bread has a low fiber count and would not be included in a high-fiber diet.