This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is performing preprocedure teaching for a patient scheduled to undergo a liver biopsy. ... (Read 203 times)

ereecah

The nurse is performing preprocedure teaching for a patient scheduled to undergo a liver biopsy. After listening to the information, the patient states, I am so scared. I just don't know if I can do this procedure. Which response is best?

a. The procedure will only last about 15 minutes.
  b. Most patients say it feels similar to a punch in the shoulder.
  c. You do not have to have the procedure.
  d. I understand that you are afraid. Tell me more about your concerns.

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a patient who has been experiencing infertility. Which statement indicates that the patient understands the impact of inadequate luteinizing hormone (LH) levels?

a. Since luteinizing hormone maintains my secondary sex characteristics, low levels explain my small breasts.
  b. Low levels of luteinizing hormone cause the swelling I experience during my men-strual cycle.
  c. Low levels of luteinizing hormone cause my menstrual cycle irregularities.
  d. Since luteinizing hormone stimulates ovulation and progesterone production, low levels could cause infertility.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

raili21

Answer to Question 1

D
The nurse should acknowledge the patient's feelings and promote therapeutic communication. While all of the other statements are true, none of them investigate the underlying cause of the patient's fear. Reassurance about the length of the procedure or the sensation that the patient might experience may be indicated after the patient explains more about specific concerns. While the patient can refuse to have the procedure, dismissing the patient is not an appropriate or the-rapeutic statement.

Answer to Question 2

D
LH is produced by the anterior pituitary gland. It targets the ovaries. LH stimulates ovulation and production of progesterone. LH does not affect maintenance of secondary sex characteristics, fluid retention, or menstrual cycle regularity.

ereecah

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Gracias!

tranoy

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

The horizontal fraction bar was introduced by the Arabs.

Did you know?

Anesthesia awareness is a potentially disturbing adverse effect wherein patients who have been paralyzed with muscle relaxants may awaken. They may be aware of their surroundings but unable to communicate or move. Neurologic monitoring equipment that helps to more closely check the patient's anesthesia stages is now available to avoid the occurrence of anesthesia awareness.

Did you know?

The people with the highest levels of LDL are Mexican American males and non-Hispanic black females.

Did you know?

The most common childhood diseases include croup, chickenpox, ear infections, flu, pneumonia, ringworm, respiratory syncytial virus, scabies, head lice, and asthma.

Did you know?

Most strokes are caused when blood clots move to a blood vessel in the brain and block blood flow to that area. Thrombolytic therapy can be used to dissolve the clot quickly. If given within 3 hours of the first stroke symptoms, this therapy can help limit stroke damage and disability.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library