This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is caring for a postmyocardial infarction (MI) patient who has been started on daily ... (Read 26 times)

yoooooman

The nurse is caring for a postmyocardial infarction (MI) patient who has been started on daily simvastatin (Zocor) and a low-fat diet. Which statement best indicates that the nurse's teaching has been successful?

a. I will need to have blood work every month while taking Zocor.
  b. I should take my Zocor with grapefruit juice to help absorption.
  c. I should call my doctor if I experience unexplained muscle pain.
  d. I should take Zocor an hour before my biggest meal of the day.

Question 2

The nurse has provided discharge instructions to a patient who underwent a vasectomy. Which statement indicates the patient understands the nurse's teaching?

a. I can use a heating pad this evening for my discomfort.
  b. Taking aspirin every 4 hours will help with my pain.
  c. I should leave the compression dressing on for the first 24 hours.
  d. I should ice my scrotum once I get home.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

dmurph1496

Answer to Question 1

C
Statins can injure muscle tissue and are toxic to the liver in some patients. Patients should report any unexplained muscle tenderness or pain persisting for more than a few days. Laboratory tests for liver enzymes are recommended at the start of therapy and only when clinically indicated. Grapefruit juice interferes with drug metabolism and should be avoided to prevent increased risk of toxicity. Zocor can be taken without regard to meals.

Answer to Question 2

D
Instruct the patient to use ice applications and acetaminophen or ibuprofen for scrotal pain and swelling the first 12 to 24 hours postoperatively. The patient should wear jockey shorts or a scrotal support for comfort. Heat is not recommended during the first 24 hours postoperatively. Aspirin may promote bleeding. The patient will not have a compression dressing.

yoooooman

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

samiel-sayed

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

In inpatient settings, adverse drug events account for an estimated one in three of all hospital adverse events. They affect approximately 2 million hospital stays every year, and prolong hospital stays by between one and five days.

Did you know?

Aspirin is the most widely used drug in the world. It has even been recognized as such by the Guinness Book of World Records.

Did you know?

The longest a person has survived after a heart transplant is 24 years.

Did you know?

Stevens-Johnson syndrome and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis syndrome are life-threatening reactions that can result in death. Complications include permanent blindness, dry-eye syndrome, lung damage, photophobia, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, permanent loss of nail beds, scarring of mucous membranes, arthritis, and chronic fatigue syndrome. Many patients' pores scar shut, causing them to retain heat.

Did you know?

Though newer “smart” infusion pumps are increasingly becoming more sophisticated, they cannot prevent all programming and administration errors. Health care professionals that use smart infusion pumps must still practice the rights of medication administration and have other professionals double-check all high-risk infusions.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library