This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse has completed medication education with a postmyocardial infarction (MI) patient about ... (Read 11 times)

Lisaclaire

The nurse has completed medication education with a postmyocardial infarction (MI) patient about nifedipine (Adalat). The nurse evaluates the education as effective when the patient makes which statement?

1. I only need to take this medicine if I plan to do a strenuous activity.
  2. I will need to take this medicine until my stress test is normal.
  3. I only need to take this medicine when I experience chest pain.
  4. I will need to take this medicine for the rest of my life.

Question 2

The nurse is teaching a class on antianginal drugs to a group of patients who have experienced myocardial infarctions (MIs). The nurse determines that learning has occurred when a patient makes which statement?

1. These medications decrease how much oxygen my heart needs.
  2. These medications thin my blood so my heart receives more oxygen.
  3. These medications increase the amount of oxygen my heart receives.
  4. These medications increase oxygen to my heart by increasing nitric oxide production.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

shewald78

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 4
Rationale: Beta blockers reduce myocardial oxygen demand, which is critical for patients who have experienced a recent myocardial infarction (MI). Unless contraindicated, beta-blocker therapy continues for the remainder of the patient's life. Beta-blocker therapy must continue for the remainder of a patient's life, this is not based on the results of a test. Beta blockers are taken on a scheduled basis, not as needed (prn); this statement refers to nitrates. Beta blockers are not used prophylactically; this statement refers to nitrates.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale: The primary means by which antianginal drugs terminate an acute angina episode, or decrease the frequency of angina episodes, is by reducing the myocardial demand for oxygen. Antianginal medications cannot increase the oxygen supply to the myocardium. Antianginal medications do not have an anticoagulant effect. Antianginal medications do not increase nitric acid production.

Lisaclaire

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

JaynaD87

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Tobacco depletes the body of vitamins A, C, and E, which can result in any of the following: dry hair, dry skin, dry eyes, poor growth, night blindness, abscesses, insomnia, fatigue, reproductive system problems, sinusitis, pneumonia, frequent respiratory problems, skin disorders, weight loss, rickets, osteomalacia, nervousness, muscle spasms, leg cramps, extremity numbness, bone malformations, decayed teeth, difficulty in walking, irritability, restlessness, profuse sweating, increased uric acid (gout), joint damage, damaged red blood cells, destruction of nerves, infertility, miscarriage, and many types of cancer.

Did you know?

If all the neurons in the human body were lined up, they would stretch more than 600 miles.

Did you know?

Fatal fungal infections may be able to resist newer antifungal drugs. Globally, fungal infections are often fatal due to the lack of access to multiple antifungals, which may be required to be utilized in combination. Single antifungals may not be enough to stop a fungal infection from causing the death of a patient.

Did you know?

As many as 20% of Americans have been infected by the fungus known as Histoplasmosis. While most people are asymptomatic or only have slight symptoms, infection can progress to a rapid and potentially fatal superinfection.

Did you know?

It is believed that the Incas used anesthesia. Evidence supports the theory that shamans chewed cocoa leaves and drilled holes into the heads of patients (letting evil spirits escape), spitting into the wounds they made. The mixture of cocaine, saliva, and resin numbed the site enough to allow hours of drilling.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library