This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is providing medication teaching to a patient with epilepsy who is taking phenytoin ... (Read 49 times)

fagboi

The nurse is providing medication teaching to a patient with epilepsy who is taking phenytoin (Dilantin). Which statement best indicates that the nurse's teaching has been successful?

a. I should decrease my alcohol intake to a single drink per day.
  b. I should visit the dentist every 3 to 6 months while taking this medication.
  c. I should take my antacid an hour after my Dilantin.
  d. This medication may turn my urine orange.

Question 2

The nurse is caring for an Asian patient who received atropine as a preoperative drug. For which problem should the nurse should carefully monitor the patient?

a. Oliguria
  b. Hyperventilation
  c. Hypotension
  d. Tachycardia

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jointhecircus

Answer to Question 1

B
Dilantin can cause gingival hyperplasia. The patient should brush teeth and floss regularly, and schedule dentist visits every 3 to 6 months. Alcohol interferes with the metabolism of anticon-vulsants, increases lethargy, and may trigger seizures. The patient should not consume alcohol at all while taking Dilantin. The patient should not take antacids within 2 hours of taking Dilantin. Dilantin may turn the urine pink.

Answer to Question 2

D
Asians often metabolize atropine differently from other populations. The drug can greatly acce-lerate the heart rate in the Asian patient.

fagboi

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Wow, this really help

hramirez205

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

People often find it difficult to accept the idea that bacteria can be beneficial and improve health. Lactic acid bacteria are good, and when eaten, these bacteria improve health and increase longevity. These bacteria included in foods such as yogurt.

Did you know?

The calories found in one piece of cherry cheesecake could light a 60-watt light bulb for 1.5 hours.

Did you know?

If you could remove all of your skin, it would weigh up to 5 pounds.

Did you know?

People about to have surgery must tell their health care providers about all supplements they take.

Did you know?

The shortest mature adult human of whom there is independent evidence was Gul Mohammed in India. In 1990, he was measured in New Delhi and stood 22.5 inches tall.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library