This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is providing medication teaching to a patient with epilepsy who is taking phenytoin ... (Read 50 times)

fagboi

The nurse is providing medication teaching to a patient with epilepsy who is taking phenytoin (Dilantin). Which statement best indicates that the nurse's teaching has been successful?

a. I should decrease my alcohol intake to a single drink per day.
  b. I should visit the dentist every 3 to 6 months while taking this medication.
  c. I should take my antacid an hour after my Dilantin.
  d. This medication may turn my urine orange.

Question 2

The nurse is caring for an Asian patient who received atropine as a preoperative drug. For which problem should the nurse should carefully monitor the patient?

a. Oliguria
  b. Hyperventilation
  c. Hypotension
  d. Tachycardia

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jointhecircus

Answer to Question 1

B
Dilantin can cause gingival hyperplasia. The patient should brush teeth and floss regularly, and schedule dentist visits every 3 to 6 months. Alcohol interferes with the metabolism of anticon-vulsants, increases lethargy, and may trigger seizures. The patient should not consume alcohol at all while taking Dilantin. The patient should not take antacids within 2 hours of taking Dilantin. Dilantin may turn the urine pink.

Answer to Question 2

D
Asians often metabolize atropine differently from other populations. The drug can greatly acce-lerate the heart rate in the Asian patient.

fagboi

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

:D TYSM

Did you know?

The modern decimal position system was the invention of the Hindus (around 800 AD), involving the placing of numerals to indicate their value (units, tens, hundreds, and so on).

Did you know?

The human body produces and destroys 15 million blood cells every second.

Did you know?

The horizontal fraction bar was introduced by the Arabs.

Did you know?

Medications that are definitely not safe to take when breastfeeding include radioactive drugs, antimetabolites, some cancer (chemotherapy) agents, bromocriptine, ergotamine, methotrexate, and cyclosporine.

Did you know?

There are more bacteria in your mouth than there are people in the world.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library