Author Question: Which statement indicates to the nurse that the 50-year-old male recently diagnosed with early stage ... (Read 46 times)

naturalchemist

Which statement indicates to the nurse that the 50-year-old male recently diagnosed with early stage cancer of the prostate has begun to accept his diagnosis?

a. Well, I guess this just about cancels any plans for a second honeymoon.
  b. I need to call my lawyer in order to update my will.
  c. Do you have any current information on prostate cancer?
  d. My children should come home from college to visit.

Question 2

A 32-year-old mother is undergoing radiation from a sealed-source modality and has been isolated in a private room for 3 days. How should the nurse best prepare for the patient's 8-year-old twins to visit?

a. Instruct the children to visit at the bedside one at a time.
  b. Inform family that children cannot visit patients undergoing radiation.
  c. Put chairs in the hall for long-distance visitation.
  d. Allow visitation for no longer than 3 minutes without any physical contact.

EAN94

Answer to Question 1

C
Well-adjusted patients should seek information on the disease and varied treatments. Joking is a form of denial. Gathering family and making final arrangements reflect loss of hope and do not coincide with the prognosis of early stage prostate cancer. Humor is a positive coping strategy, but requesting information about the disease is more indicative of acceptance.

Answer to Question 2

C
Children and pregnant people should not visit at the bedside, but a visit from a safe distance or by phone helps relieve the boredom of isolation.