Author Question: The nurse is instructing a client diagnosed with osteoarthritis. Which of the following statements ... (Read 27 times)

lbcchick

The nurse is instructing a client diagnosed with osteoarthritis. Which of the following statements indicates that the client understands these instructions?

1. Exercise will not be of help because it will stress my joints.
  2. I will need to lose weight; my doctor says about 20 pounds.
  3. I will take my medications only if the pain is very bad.
  4. I can still go on my marathon shopping trips with my daughter.

Question 2

The nurse, caring for a client recovering from the placement of a shunt to treat portal hypertension, should assess the client for which of the following complications associated with this surgery?

1. Myocardial infarction
  2. Pulmonary emboli
  3. Pulmonary edema
  4. Decreased peripheral pulses

cassie_ragen

Answer to Question 1

Exercise and weight reduction help maintain joint mobility and muscle strength. Walking can be done at home and is low stress to the joints. Scheduled medications should be taken to relieve inflammation, and pain medications should be taken before the pain gets very bad. The client should schedule rest periods with activity so as not to do too much at one time.

Answer to Question 2

Complications after shunt surgery include the development of pulmonary edema. Myocardial infarction, pulmonary emboli, and decreased peripheral pulses are not complications associated with this type of surgery.