This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A new clinic patient with joint swelling and pain is being tested for systemic lupus erythematosus. ... (Read 36 times)

arivle123

A new clinic patient with joint swelling and pain is being tested for systemic lupus erythematosus. Which test will provide the most specific findings for the nurse to review?

a. Rheumatoid factor (RF)
  b. Antinuclear antibody (ANA)
  c. Anti-Smith antibody (Anti-Sm)
  d. Lupus erythematosus (LE) cell prep

Question 2

A 25-year-old female patient with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) who has a facial rash and alopecia tells the nurse, I never leave my house because I hate the way I look. An appropriate nursing diagnosis for the patient is

a. activity intolerance related to fatigue and inactivity.
  b. impaired social interaction related to lack of social skills.
  c. impaired skin integrity related to itching and skin sloughing.
  d. social isolation related to embarrassment about the effects of SLE.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

otokexnaru

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
The anti-Sm is antibody found almost exclusively in SLE. The other blood tests are also used in screening but are not as specific to SLE.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
The patient's statement about not going anywhere because of hating the way he or she looks supports the diagnosis of social isolation because of embarrassment about the effects of the SLE. Activity intolerance is a possible problem for patients with SLE, but the information about this patient does not support this as a diagnosis. The rash with SLE is nonpruritic. There is no evidence of lack of social skills for this patient.

arivle123

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

bdobbins

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Many medications that are used to treat infertility are injected subcutaneously. This is easy to do using the anterior abdomen as the site of injection but avoiding the area directly around the belly button.

Did you know?

Bacteria have flourished on the earth for over three billion years. They were the first life forms on the planet.

Did you know?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has released reports detailing the deaths of infants (younger than 1 year of age) who died after being given cold and cough medications. This underscores the importance of educating parents that children younger than 2 years of age should never be given over-the-counter cold and cough medications without consulting their physicians.

Did you know?

According to the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, lung disease is the third leading killer in the United States, responsible for one in seven deaths. It is the leading cause of death among infants under the age of one year.

Did you know?

There are 20 feet of blood vessels in each square inch of human skin.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library