This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse will assess a 67-year-old patient who is experiencing a cluster headache for a. nuchal ... (Read 21 times)

panfilo

The nurse will assess a 67-year-old patient who is experiencing a cluster headache for

a. nuchal rigidity.
  b. unilateral ptosis.
  c. projectile vomiting.
  d. throbbing, bilateral facial pain.

Question 2

The nurse determines that teaching about management of migraine headaches has been effective when the patient says which of the following?

a. I can take the (Topamax) as soon as a headache starts.
  b. A glass of wine might help me relax and prevent a headache.
  c. I will lie down someplace dark and quiet when the headaches begin.
  d. I should avoid taking aspirin and sumatriptan (Imitrex) at the same time.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

rnehls

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Unilateral eye edema, tearing, and ptosis are characteristic of cluster headaches. Nuchal rigidity suggests meningeal irritation, such as occurs with meningitis. Although nausea and vomiting may occur with migraine headaches, projectile vomiting is more consistent with increased intracranial pressure (ICP). Unilateral sharp, stabbing pain, rather than throbbing pain, is characteristic of cluster headaches.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
It is recommended that the patient with a migraine rest in a dark, quiet area. Topiramate (Topamax) is used to prevent migraines and must be taken for several months to determine effectiveness. Aspirin or other nonsteroidal antiinflammatory medications can be taken with the triptans. Alcohol may precipitate migraine headaches.

panfilo

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

chjcharjto14

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

The average older adult in the United States takes five prescription drugs per day. Half of these drugs contain a sedative. Alcohol should therefore be avoided by most senior citizens because of the dangerous interactions between alcohol and sedatives.

Did you know?

In the ancient and medieval periods, dysentery killed about ? of all babies before they reach 12 months of age. The disease was transferred through contaminated drinking water, because there was no way to adequately dispose of sewage, which contaminated the water.

Did you know?

It is believed that humans initially contracted crabs from gorillas about 3 million years ago from either sleeping in gorilla nests or eating the apes.

Did you know?

In the United States, an estimated 50 million unnecessary antibiotics are prescribed for viral respiratory infections.

Did you know?

Not getting enough sleep can greatly weaken the immune system. Lack of sleep makes you more likely to catch a cold, or more difficult to fight off an infection.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library