This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse will assess a 67-year-old patient who is experiencing a cluster headache for a. nuchal ... (Read 23 times)

panfilo

The nurse will assess a 67-year-old patient who is experiencing a cluster headache for

a. nuchal rigidity.
  b. unilateral ptosis.
  c. projectile vomiting.
  d. throbbing, bilateral facial pain.

Question 2

The nurse determines that teaching about management of migraine headaches has been effective when the patient says which of the following?

a. I can take the (Topamax) as soon as a headache starts.
  b. A glass of wine might help me relax and prevent a headache.
  c. I will lie down someplace dark and quiet when the headaches begin.
  d. I should avoid taking aspirin and sumatriptan (Imitrex) at the same time.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

rnehls

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Unilateral eye edema, tearing, and ptosis are characteristic of cluster headaches. Nuchal rigidity suggests meningeal irritation, such as occurs with meningitis. Although nausea and vomiting may occur with migraine headaches, projectile vomiting is more consistent with increased intracranial pressure (ICP). Unilateral sharp, stabbing pain, rather than throbbing pain, is characteristic of cluster headaches.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
It is recommended that the patient with a migraine rest in a dark, quiet area. Topiramate (Topamax) is used to prevent migraines and must be taken for several months to determine effectiveness. Aspirin or other nonsteroidal antiinflammatory medications can be taken with the triptans. Alcohol may precipitate migraine headaches.

panfilo

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

raili21

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Women are 50% to 75% more likely than men to experience an adverse drug reaction.

Did you know?

Critical care patients are twice as likely to receive the wrong medication. Of these errors, 20% are life-threatening, and 42% require additional life-sustaining treatments.

Did you know?

It is important to read food labels and choose foods with low cholesterol and saturated trans fat. You should limit saturated fat to no higher than 6% of daily calories.

Did you know?

Russia has the highest death rate from cardiovascular disease followed by the Ukraine, Romania, Hungary, and Poland.

Did you know?

More than 20 million Americans cite use of marijuana within the past 30 days, according to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH). More than 8 million admit to using it almost every day.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library