This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse determines that further instruction is needed for a patient with interstitial cystitis ... (Read 24 times)

Mimi

The nurse determines that further instruction is needed for a patient with interstitial cystitis when the patient says which of the following?

a. I should stop having coffee and orange juice for breakfast.
  b. I will buy calcium glycerophosphate (Prelief) at the pharmacy.
  c. I will start taking high potency multiple vitamins every morning.
  d. I should call the doctor about increased bladder pain or odorous urine.

Question 2

Which information will the nurse include when teaching the patient with a urinary tract infection (UTI) about the use of phenazopyridine (Pyridium)?

a. Pyridium may cause photosensitivity
  b. Pyridium may change the urine color.
  c. Take the Pyridium for at least 7 days.
  d. Take Pyridium before sexual intercourse.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

cuttiesgirl16

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
High-potency multiple vitamins may irritate the bladder and increase symptoms. The other patient statements indicate good understanding of the teaching.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Patients should be taught that Pyridium will color the urine deep orange. Urinary analgesics should only be needed for a few days until the prescribed antibiotics decrease the bacterial count. Pyridium does not cause photosensitivity. Taking Pyridium before intercourse will not be helpful in reducing the risk for UTI.

Mimi

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
:D TYSM

mjenn52

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Each year in the United States, there are approximately six million pregnancies. This means that at any one time, about 4% of women in the United States are pregnant.

Did you know?

More than 34,000 trademarked medication names and more than 10,000 generic medication names are in use in the United States.

Did you know?

ACTH levels are normally highest in the early morning (between 6 and 8 A.M.) and lowest in the evening (between 6 and 11 P.M.). Therefore, a doctor who suspects abnormal levels looks for low ACTH in the morning and high ACTH in the evening.

Did you know?

Women are two-thirds more likely than men to develop irritable bowel syndrome. This may be attributable to hormonal changes related to their menstrual cycles.

Did you know?

Symptoms of kidney problems include a loss of appetite, back pain (which may be sudden and intense), chills, abdominal pain, fluid retention, nausea, the urge to urinate, vomiting, and fever.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library