This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse determines that additional instruction is needed for a 60-year-old patient with chronic ... (Read 103 times)

lb_gilbert

The nurse determines that additional instruction is needed for a 60-year-old patient with chronic syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone (SIADH) when the patient says which of the following?

a. I need to shop for foods low in sodium and avoid adding salt to food.
  b. I should weigh myself daily and report any sudden weight loss or gain.
  c. I need to limit my fluid intake to no more than 1 quart of liquids a day.
  d. I will eat foods high in potassium because diuretics cause potassium loss.

Question 2

The nurse determines that demeclocycline (Declomycin) is effective for a patient with syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone (SIADH) based on finding that the patient's

a. weight has increased.
  b. urinary output is increased.
  c. peripheral edema is decreased.
  d. urine specific gravity is increased.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Ahnyah

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Patients with SIADH are at risk for hyponatremia, and a sodium supplement may be prescribed. The other patient statements are correct and indicate successful teaching has occurred.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Demeclocycline blocks the action of antidiuretic hormone (ADH) on the renal tubules and increases urine output. An increase in weight or an increase in urine specific gravity indicates that the SIADH is not corrected. Peripheral edema does not occur with SIADH. A sudden weight gain without edema is a common clinical manifestation of this disorder.

lb_gilbert

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

parshano

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Patients should never assume they are being given the appropriate drugs. They should make sure they know which drugs are being prescribed, and always double-check that the drugs received match the prescription.

Did you know?

There are major differences in the metabolism of morphine and the illegal drug heroin. Morphine mostly produces its CNS effects through m-receptors, and at k- and d-receptors. Heroin has a slight affinity for opiate receptors. Most of its actions are due to metabolism to active metabolites (6-acetylmorphine, morphine, and morphine-6-glucuronide).

Did you know?

Though “Krazy Glue” or “Super Glue” has the ability to seal small wounds, it is not recommended for this purpose since it contains many substances that should not enter the body through the skin, and may be harmful.

Did you know?

There used to be a metric calendar, as well as metric clocks. The metric calendar, or "French Republican Calendar" divided the year into 12 months, but each month was divided into three 10-day weeks. Each day had 10 decimal hours. Each hour had 100 decimal minutes. Due to lack of popularity, the metric clocks and calendars were ended in 1795, three years after they had been first marketed.

Did you know?

Throughout history, plants containing cardiac steroids have been used as heart drugs and as poisons (e.g., in arrows used in combat), emetics, and diuretics.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library