This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which instruction should the nurse include in an exercise teaching plan for a patient with chronic ... (Read 41 times)

saliriagwu

Which instruction should the nurse include in an exercise teaching plan for a patient with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)?

a. Stop exercising if you start to feel short of breath.
  b. Use the bronchodilator before you start to exercise.
  c. Breathe in and out through the mouth while you exercise.
  d. Upper body exercise should be avoided to prevent dyspnea.

Question 2

The nurse provides dietary teaching for a patient with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) who has a low body mass index (BMI). Which patient statement indicates that the teaching has been effective?

a. I will drink lots of fluids with my meals.
  b. I can have ice cream as a snack every day.
  c. I will exercise for 15 minutes before meals.
  d. I will decrease my intake of meat and poultry.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Koolkid240

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Use of a bronchodilator before exercise improves airflow for some patients and is recommended. Shortness of breath is normal with exercise and not a reason to stop. Patients should be taught to breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth (using a pursed lip technique). Upper-body exercise can improve the mechanics of breathing in patients with COPD.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
High-calorie foods like ice cream are an appropriate snack for patients with COPD. Fluid intake of 3 L/day is recommended, but fluids should be taken between meals rather than with meals to improve oral intake of solid foods. The patient should avoid exercise for an hour before meals to prevent fatigue while eating. Meat and dairy products are high in protein and are good choices for the patient with COPD.

saliriagwu

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Gracias!

lindahyatt42

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Many medications that are used to treat infertility are injected subcutaneously. This is easy to do using the anterior abdomen as the site of injection but avoiding the area directly around the belly button.

Did you know?

Though the United States has largely rejected the metric system, it is used for currency, as in 100 pennies = 1 dollar. Previously, the British currency system was used, with measurements such as 12 pence to the shilling, and 20 shillings to the pound.

Did you know?

Congestive heart failure is a serious disorder that carries a reduced life expectancy. Heart failure is usually a chronic illness, and it may worsen with infection or other physical stressors.

Did you know?

Many of the drugs used by neuroscientists are derived from toxic plants and venomous animals (such as snakes, spiders, snails, and puffer fish).

Did you know?

Bacteria have flourished on the earth for over three billion years. They were the first life forms on the planet.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library