This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which instruction should the nurse include in an exercise teaching plan for a patient with chronic ... (Read 44 times)

saliriagwu

Which instruction should the nurse include in an exercise teaching plan for a patient with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)?

a. Stop exercising if you start to feel short of breath.
  b. Use the bronchodilator before you start to exercise.
  c. Breathe in and out through the mouth while you exercise.
  d. Upper body exercise should be avoided to prevent dyspnea.

Question 2

The nurse provides dietary teaching for a patient with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) who has a low body mass index (BMI). Which patient statement indicates that the teaching has been effective?

a. I will drink lots of fluids with my meals.
  b. I can have ice cream as a snack every day.
  c. I will exercise for 15 minutes before meals.
  d. I will decrease my intake of meat and poultry.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Koolkid240

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Use of a bronchodilator before exercise improves airflow for some patients and is recommended. Shortness of breath is normal with exercise and not a reason to stop. Patients should be taught to breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth (using a pursed lip technique). Upper-body exercise can improve the mechanics of breathing in patients with COPD.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
High-calorie foods like ice cream are an appropriate snack for patients with COPD. Fluid intake of 3 L/day is recommended, but fluids should be taken between meals rather than with meals to improve oral intake of solid foods. The patient should avoid exercise for an hour before meals to prevent fatigue while eating. Meat and dairy products are high in protein and are good choices for the patient with COPD.

saliriagwu

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

hollysheppard095

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Most women experience menopause in their 50s. However, in 1994, an Italian woman gave birth to a baby boy when she was 61 years old.

Did you know?

If you could remove all of your skin, it would weigh up to 5 pounds.

Did you know?

Asthma is the most common chronic childhood disease in the world. Most children who develop asthma have symptoms before they are 5 years old.

Did you know?

Critical care patients are twice as likely to receive the wrong medication. Of these errors, 20% are life-threatening, and 42% require additional life-sustaining treatments.

Did you know?

More than nineteen million Americans carry the factor V gene that causes blood clots, pulmonary embolism, and heart disease.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library