This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: In preparation for discharge, the nurse teaches a patient with chronic stable angina how to use the ... (Read 33 times)

fbq8i

In preparation for discharge, the nurse teaches a patient with chronic stable angina how to use the prescribed short-acting and long-acting nitrates. Which patient statement indicates that the teaching has been effective?

a. I will check my pulse rate before I take any nitroglycerin tablets.
  b. I will put the nitroglycerin patch on as soon as I get any chest pain.
  c. I will stop what I am doing and sit down before I put the nitroglycerin under my tongue.
  d. I will be sure to remove the nitroglycerin patch before taking any sublingual nitroglycerin.

Question 2

A patient is recovering from a myocardial infarction (MI) and develops chest pain on day 3 that increases when taking a deep breath and is relieved by leaning forward. Which action should the nurse take next?

a. Assess the feet for pedal edema.
  b. Palpate the radial pulses bilaterally.
  c. Auscultate for a pericardial friction rub.
  d. Check the heart monitor for dysrhythmias.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

SamMuagrove

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
The patient should sit down before taking the nitroglycerin to decrease cardiac workload and prevent orthostatic hypotension. Transdermal nitrates are used prophylactically rather than to treat acute pain and can be used concurrently with sublingual nitroglycerin. Although the nurse should check blood pressure before giving nitroglycerin, patients do not need to check the pulse rate before taking nitrates.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
The patient's symptoms are consistent with the development of pericarditis, a possible complication of MI. The other assessments listed are not consistent with the description of the patient's symptoms.

fbq8i

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Gracias!

atrochim

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

There are major differences in the metabolism of morphine and the illegal drug heroin. Morphine mostly produces its CNS effects through m-receptors, and at k- and d-receptors. Heroin has a slight affinity for opiate receptors. Most of its actions are due to metabolism to active metabolites (6-acetylmorphine, morphine, and morphine-6-glucuronide).

Did you know?

In 1886, William Bates reported on the discovery of a substance produced by the adrenal gland that turned out to be epinephrine (adrenaline). In 1904, this drug was first artificially synthesized by Friedrich Stolz.

Did you know?

Anesthesia awareness is a potentially disturbing adverse effect wherein patients who have been paralyzed with muscle relaxants may awaken. They may be aware of their surroundings but unable to communicate or move. Neurologic monitoring equipment that helps to more closely check the patient's anesthesia stages is now available to avoid the occurrence of anesthesia awareness.

Did you know?

Many of the drugs used by neuroscientists are derived from toxic plants and venomous animals (such as snakes, spiders, snails, and puffer fish).

Did you know?

People about to have surgery must tell their health care providers about all supplements they take.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library