This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: In preparation for discharge, the nurse teaches a patient with chronic stable angina how to use the ... (Read 35 times)

fbq8i

In preparation for discharge, the nurse teaches a patient with chronic stable angina how to use the prescribed short-acting and long-acting nitrates. Which patient statement indicates that the teaching has been effective?

a. I will check my pulse rate before I take any nitroglycerin tablets.
  b. I will put the nitroglycerin patch on as soon as I get any chest pain.
  c. I will stop what I am doing and sit down before I put the nitroglycerin under my tongue.
  d. I will be sure to remove the nitroglycerin patch before taking any sublingual nitroglycerin.

Question 2

A patient is recovering from a myocardial infarction (MI) and develops chest pain on day 3 that increases when taking a deep breath and is relieved by leaning forward. Which action should the nurse take next?

a. Assess the feet for pedal edema.
  b. Palpate the radial pulses bilaterally.
  c. Auscultate for a pericardial friction rub.
  d. Check the heart monitor for dysrhythmias.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

SamMuagrove

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
The patient should sit down before taking the nitroglycerin to decrease cardiac workload and prevent orthostatic hypotension. Transdermal nitrates are used prophylactically rather than to treat acute pain and can be used concurrently with sublingual nitroglycerin. Although the nurse should check blood pressure before giving nitroglycerin, patients do not need to check the pulse rate before taking nitrates.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
The patient's symptoms are consistent with the development of pericarditis, a possible complication of MI. The other assessments listed are not consistent with the description of the patient's symptoms.

fbq8i

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Excellent

upturnedfurball

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Signs and symptoms of a drug overdose include losing consciousness, fever or sweating, breathing problems, abnormal pulse, and changes in skin color.

Did you know?

Pink eye is a term that refers to conjunctivitis, which is inflammation of the thin, clear membrane (conjunctiva) over the white part of the eye (sclera). It may be triggered by a virus, bacteria, or foreign body in the eye. Antibiotic eye drops alleviate bacterial conjunctivitis, and antihistamine allergy pills or eye drops help control allergic conjunctivitis symptoms.

Did you know?

Glaucoma is a leading cause of blindness. As of yet, there is no cure. Everyone is at risk, and there may be no warning signs. It is six to eight times more common in African Americans than in whites. The best and most effective way to detect glaucoma is to receive a dilated eye examination.

Did you know?

Always store hazardous household chemicals in their original containers out of reach of children. These include bleach, paint, strippers and products containing turpentine, garden chemicals, oven cleaners, fondue fuels, nail polish, and nail polish remover.

Did you know?

In the United States, there is a birth every 8 seconds, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's Population Clock.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library