This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) tells the nurse, I wish I were ... (Read 89 times)

cherise1989

A patient with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) tells the nurse, I wish I were dead I'm just a burden on everybody. Based on this information, which nursing diagnosis is most appropriate?

a. Complicated grieving related to expectation of death
  b. Ineffective coping related to unknown outcome of illness
  c. Deficient knowledge related to lack of education about COPD
  d. Chronic low self-esteem related to increased physical dependence

Question 2

The nurse develops a teaching plan to help increase activity tolerance at home for an older adult with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Which instructions would be most appropriate for the nurse to include in the plan of care?

a. Stop exercising when short of breath.
  b. Walk until pulse rate exceeds 130 beats/minute.
  c. Limit exercise to activities of daily living (ADLs).
  d. Walk 15 to 20 minutes daily at least 3 times/week.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

cat123

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
The patient's statement about not being able to do anything for himself or herself supports this diagnosis. Although deficient knowledge, complicated grieving, and ineffective coping may also be appropriate diagnoses for patients with COPD, the data for this patient do not support these diagnoses.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Encourage the patient to walk 15 to 20 minutes a day at least three times a week with gradual increases. Shortness of breath is normal with exercise and not an indication that the patient should stop. Limiting exercise to ADLs will not improve the patient's exercise tolerance. A 70-year-old patient should have a pulse rate of 120 or less with exercise (80 of the maximal heart rate of 150).

cherise1989

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Excellent

cdmart10

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Drug abusers experience the following scenario: The pleasure given by their drug (or drugs) of choice is so strong that it is difficult to eradicate even after years of staying away from the substances involved. Certain triggers may cause a drug abuser to relapse. Research shows that long-term drug abuse results in significant changes in brain function that persist long after an individual stops using drugs. It is most important to realize that the same is true of not just illegal substances but alcohol and tobacco as well.

Did you know?

Urine turns bright yellow if larger than normal amounts of certain substances are consumed; one of these substances is asparagus.

Did you know?

Amoebae are the simplest type of protozoans, and are characterized by a feeding and dividing trophozoite stage that moves by temporary extensions called pseudopodia or false feet.

Did you know?

Despite claims by manufacturers, the supplement known as Ginkgo biloba was shown in a study of more than 3,000 participants to be ineffective in reducing development of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease in older people.

Did you know?

Complications of influenza include: bacterial pneumonia, ear and sinus infections, dehydration, and worsening of chronic conditions such as asthma, congestive heart failure, or diabetes.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library