This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A pulmonary nurse cares for clients who have chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Which ... (Read 70 times)

Beheh

A pulmonary nurse cares for clients who have chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Which client should the nurse assess first?

a. A 46-year-old with a 30-pack-year history of smoking
  b. A 52-year-old in a tripod position using accessory muscles to breathe
  c. A 68-year-old who has dependent edema and clubbed fingers
  d. A 74-year-old with a chronic cough and thick, tenacious secretions

Question 2

The nurse is teaching a client with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease who has been prescribed continuous oxygen therapy at home. Which statement indicates the client correctly understands the teaching?

a. I plan to wear my oxygen when I exercise and feel short of breath.
  b. I will use my portable oxygen when grilling burgers in the backyard.
  c. I plan to use cotton balls to cushion the oxygen tubing on my ears.
  d. I will only smoke while I am wearing my oxygen via nasal cannula.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

matt

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
The client who is in a tripod position and using accessory muscles is working to breathe. This client must be assessed first to establish how well the client is breathing and provide interventions to minimize respiratory failure. The other clients are not in acute distress.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Cotton balls can decrease pressure ulcers from the oxygen tubing. Continuous oxygen orders mean the client should wear the oxygen at all times. Oxygen fuels a fire. Wearing oxygen while grilling and smoking increases the risk for fire.

Beheh

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

ashely1112

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

The average older adult in the United States takes five prescription drugs per day. Half of these drugs contain a sedative. Alcohol should therefore be avoided by most senior citizens because of the dangerous interactions between alcohol and sedatives.

Did you know?

Medications that are definitely not safe to take when breastfeeding include radioactive drugs, antimetabolites, some cancer (chemotherapy) agents, bromocriptine, ergotamine, methotrexate, and cyclosporine.

Did you know?

In 2006, a generic antinausea drug named ondansetron was approved. It is used to stop nausea and vomiting associated with surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy.

Did you know?

Blastomycosis is often misdiagnosed, resulting in tragic outcomes. It is caused by a fungus living in moist soil, in wooded areas of the United States and Canada. If inhaled, the fungus can cause mild breathing problems that may worsen and cause serious illness and even death.

Did you know?

There are over 65,000 known species of protozoa. About 10,000 species are parasitic.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library