This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A pulmonary nurse cares for clients who have chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Which ... (Read 72 times)

Beheh

A pulmonary nurse cares for clients who have chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Which client should the nurse assess first?

a. A 46-year-old with a 30-pack-year history of smoking
  b. A 52-year-old in a tripod position using accessory muscles to breathe
  c. A 68-year-old who has dependent edema and clubbed fingers
  d. A 74-year-old with a chronic cough and thick, tenacious secretions

Question 2

The nurse is teaching a client with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease who has been prescribed continuous oxygen therapy at home. Which statement indicates the client correctly understands the teaching?

a. I plan to wear my oxygen when I exercise and feel short of breath.
  b. I will use my portable oxygen when grilling burgers in the backyard.
  c. I plan to use cotton balls to cushion the oxygen tubing on my ears.
  d. I will only smoke while I am wearing my oxygen via nasal cannula.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

matt

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
The client who is in a tripod position and using accessory muscles is working to breathe. This client must be assessed first to establish how well the client is breathing and provide interventions to minimize respiratory failure. The other clients are not in acute distress.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Cotton balls can decrease pressure ulcers from the oxygen tubing. Continuous oxygen orders mean the client should wear the oxygen at all times. Oxygen fuels a fire. Wearing oxygen while grilling and smoking increases the risk for fire.

Beheh

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Excellent

okolip

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Tobacco depletes the body of vitamins A, C, and E, which can result in any of the following: dry hair, dry skin, dry eyes, poor growth, night blindness, abscesses, insomnia, fatigue, reproductive system problems, sinusitis, pneumonia, frequent respiratory problems, skin disorders, weight loss, rickets, osteomalacia, nervousness, muscle spasms, leg cramps, extremity numbness, bone malformations, decayed teeth, difficulty in walking, irritability, restlessness, profuse sweating, increased uric acid (gout), joint damage, damaged red blood cells, destruction of nerves, infertility, miscarriage, and many types of cancer.

Did you know?

You should not take more than 1,000 mg of vitamin E per day. Doses above this amount increase the risk of bleeding problems that can lead to a stroke.

Did you know?

Since 1988, the CDC has reported a 99% reduction in bacterial meningitis caused by Haemophilus influenzae, due to the introduction of the vaccine against it.

Did you know?

The liver is the only organ that has the ability to regenerate itself after certain types of damage. As much as 25% of the liver can be removed, and it will still regenerate back to its original shape and size. However, the liver cannot regenerate after severe damage caused by alcohol.

Did you know?

There are immediate benefits of chiropractic adjustments that are visible via magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). It shows that spinal manipulation therapy is effective in decreasing pain and increasing the gaps between the vertebrae, reducing pressure that leads to pain.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library