Author Question: During the preoperative assessment of the patient scheduled for a right cataract extraction and ... (Read 23 times)

sheilaspns

During the preoperative assessment of the patient scheduled for a right cataract extraction and intraocular lens implantation, it is most important for the nurse to assess

a. the visual acuity of the patient's left eye.
  b. how long the patient has had the cataract.
  c. for a white pupil in the patient's right eye.
  d. for a history of reactions to general anesthetics.

Question 2

Which statement by a patient with bacterial conjunctivitis indicates a need for further teaching?

a. I will wash my hands often during the day.
  b. I will remove my contact lenses at bedtime.
  c. I will not share towels with my friends or family.
  d. I will monitor my family for eye redness or drainage.

vickyvicksss

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Because it can take several weeks before the maximum improvement in vision occurs in the right eye, patient safety and independence are determined by the vision in the left eye. A white pupil in the operative eye would not be unusual for a patient scheduled for cataract removal and lens implantation. The length of time that the patient has had the cataract will not affect the perioperative care. Cataract surgery is done using local anesthetics rather than general anesthetics.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Contact lenses should not be used when patients have conjunctivitis because they can further irritate the conjunctiva. Hand washing is the major means to prevent the spread of conjunctivitis. Infection may be spread by sharing towels or other contact. It is common for bacterial conjunctivitis to spread through a family or other group in close contact.