This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is testing the visual acuity of a patient in the outpatient clinic. The nurse's ... (Read 31 times)

dalyningkenk

The nurse is testing the visual acuity of a patient in the outpatient clinic. The nurse's instructions for this test include asking the patient to

a. stand 20 feet from the wall chart.
  b. follow the examiner's finger with the eyes only.
  c. look at an object far away and then near to the eyes.
  d. look straight ahead while a light is shone into the eyes.

Question 2

When obtaining a health history from a 49-year-old patient, which patient statement is most important to communicate to the primary health care provider?

a. My eyes are dry now.
  b. It is hard for me to see at night.
  c. My vision is blurry when I read.
  d. I can't see as far over to the side.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jaygar71

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
When the Snellen chart is used to check visual acuity, the patient should stand 20 feet away. Accommodation is tested by looking at an object at both near and far distances. Shining a pen light into the eyes tests for pupil response. Following the examiner's fingers with the eyes tests extraocular movements.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
The decrease in peripheral vision may indicate glaucoma, which is not a normal visual change associated with aging and requires rapid treatment. The other patient statements indicate visual problems (presbyopia, dryness, and lens opacity) that are considered a normal part of aging.

dalyningkenk

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Excellent

vickyvicksss

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Congestive heart failure is a serious disorder that carries a reduced life expectancy. Heart failure is usually a chronic illness, and it may worsen with infection or other physical stressors.

Did you know?

Approximately one in four people diagnosed with diabetes will develop foot problems. Of these, about one-third will require lower extremity amputation.

Did you know?

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) in overdose can seriously damage the liver. It should never be taken by people who use alcohol heavily; it can result in severe liver damage and even a condition requiring a liver transplant.

Did you know?

Warfarin was developed as a consequence of the study of a strange bleeding disorder that suddenly occurred in cattle on the northern prairies of the United States in the early 1900s.

Did you know?

Patients should never assume they are being given the appropriate drugs. They should make sure they know which drugs are being prescribed, and always double-check that the drugs received match the prescription.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library