This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse interviews a patient scheduled to undergo general anesthesia for a hernia repair. Which ... (Read 67 times)

CORALGRILL2014

The nurse interviews a patient scheduled to undergo general anesthesia for a hernia repair. Which information is most important to communicate to the surgeon and anesthesiologist before surgery?

a. The patient drinks 3 or 4 cups of coffee every morning before going to work.
  b. The patient takes a baby aspirin daily but stopped taking aspirin 10 days ago.
  c. The patient drank 4 ounces of apple juice 3 hours before coming to the hospital.
  d. The patient's father died after receiving general anesthesia for abdominal surgery.

Question 2

Which statement by a patient scheduled for surgery is most important to report to the health care provider?

a. I had a heart valve replacement last year.
  b. I had bacterial pneumonia 3 months ago.
  c. I have knee pain whenever I walk or jog.
  d. I have a strong family history of breast cancer.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

kbennett34

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
The information about the patient's father suggests that there may be a family history of malignant hyperthermia and that precautions may need to be taken to prevent this complication. Current research indicates that having clear liquids 3 hours before surgery does not increase the risk for aspiration in most patients. Patients are instructed to discontinue aspirin 1 to 2 weeks before surgery. The patient should be offered caffeinated beverages postoperatively to prevent a caffeine-withdrawal headache, but this does not have preoperative implications.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
A patient with a history of valve replacement is at risk for endocarditis associated with invasive procedures and may need antibiotic prophylaxis. A current respiratory infection may affect whether the patient should have surgery, but a history of pneumonia is not a reason to postpone surgery. The patient's knee pain is the likely reason for the surgery. A family history of breast cancer does not have any implications for the current surgery.

CORALGRILL2014

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Excellent

connor417

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Patients who cannot swallow may receive nutrition via a parenteral route—usually, a catheter is inserted through the chest into a large vein going into the heart.

Did you know?

A cataract is a clouding of the eyes' natural lens. As we age, some clouding of the lens may occur. The first sign of a cataract is usually blurry vision. Although glasses and other visual aids may at first help a person with cataracts, surgery may become inevitable. Cataract surgery is very successful in restoring vision, and it is the most frequently performed surgery in the United States.

Did you know?

Recent studies have shown that the number of medication errors increases in relation to the number of orders that are verified per pharmacist, per work shift.

Did you know?

Historic treatments for rheumatoid arthritis have included gold salts, acupuncture, a diet consisting of apples or rhubarb, nutmeg, nettles, bee venom, bracelets made of copper, prayer, rest, tooth extractions, fasting, honey, vitamins, insulin, snow collected on Christmas, magnets, and electric convulsion therapy.

Did you know?

The liver is the only organ that has the ability to regenerate itself after certain types of damage. As much as 25% of the liver can be removed, and it will still regenerate back to its original shape and size. However, the liver cannot regenerate after severe damage caused by alcohol.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library