This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A middle-aged patient tells the nurse, My mother died 4 months ago, and I just can't seem to get ... (Read 61 times)

humphriesbr@me.com

A middle-aged patient tells the nurse, My mother died 4 months ago, and I just can't seem to get over it. I'm not sure it is normal to still think about her every day. Which nursing diagnosis is most appropriate?

a. Hopelessness related to inability to resolve grief
  b. Complicated grieving related to unresolved issues
  c. Anxiety related to lack of knowledge about normal grieving
  d. Chronic sorrow related to ongoing distress about loss of mother

Question 2

The nurse cares for a terminally ill patient who is experiencing pain that is continuous and severe. How should the nurse schedule the administration of opioid pain medications?

a. Give around-the-clock routine administration of analgesics.
  b. Provide PRN doses of medication whenever the patient requests.
  c. Offer enough pain medication to keep the patient sedated and unaware of stimuli.
  d. Suggest analgesic doses that provide pain control without decreasing respiratory rate.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

bigsis44

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
The patient should be reassured that grieving activities such as frequent thoughts about the deceased are considered normal for months or years after a death. The other nursing diagnoses imply that the patient's grief is unusual or pathologic, which is not the case.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
The principles of beneficence and nonmaleficence indicate that the goal of pain management in a terminally ill patient is adequate pain relief even if the effect of pain medications could hasten death. Administration of analgesics on a PRN basis will not provide the consistent level of analgesia the patient needs. Patients usually do not require so much pain medication that they are oversedated and unaware of stimuli. Adequate pain relief may require a dosage that will result in a decrease in respiratory rate.

humphriesbr@me.com

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

fatboyy09

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Hippocrates noted that blood separates into four differently colored liquids when removed from the body and examined: a pure red liquid mixed with white liquid material with a yellow-colored froth at the top and a black substance that settles underneath; he named these the four humors (for blood, phlegm, yellow bile, and black bile).

Did you know?

In most climates, 8 to 10 glasses of water per day is recommended for adults. The best indicator for adequate fluid intake is frequent, clear urination.

Did you know?

It is believed that the Incas used anesthesia. Evidence supports the theory that shamans chewed cocoa leaves and drilled holes into the heads of patients (letting evil spirits escape), spitting into the wounds they made. The mixture of cocaine, saliva, and resin numbed the site enough to allow hours of drilling.

Did you know?

The highest suicide rate in the United States is among people ages 65 years and older. Almost 15% of people in this age group commit suicide every year.

Did you know?

To combat osteoporosis, changes in lifestyle and diet are recommended. At-risk patients should include 1,200 to 1,500 mg of calcium daily either via dietary means or with supplements.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library