This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A middle-aged patient tells the nurse, My mother died 4 months ago, and I just can't seem to get ... (Read 63 times)

humphriesbr@me.com

A middle-aged patient tells the nurse, My mother died 4 months ago, and I just can't seem to get over it. I'm not sure it is normal to still think about her every day. Which nursing diagnosis is most appropriate?

a. Hopelessness related to inability to resolve grief
  b. Complicated grieving related to unresolved issues
  c. Anxiety related to lack of knowledge about normal grieving
  d. Chronic sorrow related to ongoing distress about loss of mother

Question 2

The nurse cares for a terminally ill patient who is experiencing pain that is continuous and severe. How should the nurse schedule the administration of opioid pain medications?

a. Give around-the-clock routine administration of analgesics.
  b. Provide PRN doses of medication whenever the patient requests.
  c. Offer enough pain medication to keep the patient sedated and unaware of stimuli.
  d. Suggest analgesic doses that provide pain control without decreasing respiratory rate.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

bigsis44

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
The patient should be reassured that grieving activities such as frequent thoughts about the deceased are considered normal for months or years after a death. The other nursing diagnoses imply that the patient's grief is unusual or pathologic, which is not the case.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
The principles of beneficence and nonmaleficence indicate that the goal of pain management in a terminally ill patient is adequate pain relief even if the effect of pain medications could hasten death. Administration of analgesics on a PRN basis will not provide the consistent level of analgesia the patient needs. Patients usually do not require so much pain medication that they are oversedated and unaware of stimuli. Adequate pain relief may require a dosage that will result in a decrease in respiratory rate.

humphriesbr@me.com

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

FergA

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Throughout history, plants containing cardiac steroids have been used as heart drugs and as poisons (e.g., in arrows used in combat), emetics, and diuretics.

Did you know?

To combat osteoporosis, changes in lifestyle and diet are recommended. At-risk patients should include 1,200 to 1,500 mg of calcium daily either via dietary means or with supplements.

Did you know?

Most childhood vaccines are 90–99% effective in preventing disease. Side effects are rarely serious.

Did you know?

The first oral chemotherapy drug for colon cancer was approved by FDA in 2001.

Did you know?

Only 12 hours after an egg cell is fertilized by a sperm cell, the egg cell starts to divide. As it continues to divide, it moves along the fallopian tube toward the uterus at about 1 inch per day.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library