This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient who was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer comes to the clinic with his wife. She ... (Read 66 times)

HCHenry

A patient who was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer comes to the clinic with his wife. She says, My husband said he has a stage I tumor. Can you explain what this means? What is the most appropriate response by the nurse?

1. Stage I means the cancer involves only the prostate, and surgery and radiation treatments are usually needed.
  2. Staging involves a definition of the type of tumor and the treatment plan.
  3. Did your husband tell you he had a stage I tumor?
  4. Let's wait until the doctor comes, and you can talk with him.

Question 2

The nurse is reviewing a patient's medical record. Which manifestation should the nurse use to confirm a diagnosis of prostatodynia?

1. negative urine culture
  2. denies history of STIs
  3. patient experiencing lower back pain
  4. fever is absent

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jazzlynnnnn

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1
Grading and staging help determine prognosis and guide treatment decisions. A stage I cancer is confined to the prostate, and treatment will focus on radiation therapy and surgery. The nurse needs to provide factual information and educate the wife. The nurse should not ask the wife about something she already stated. The nurse does not need to wait for the doctor to talk with the patient and spouse. This response could increase the wife's anxiety.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
No evidence of urinary or prostatic infection or inflammation by a negative urine culture is a confirmation of prostatitis. History of UTIs, low back pain, or fever are not used to confirm prostatitis.

HCHenry

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Gracias!

EAN94

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

The use of salicylates dates back 2,500 years to Hippocrates's recommendation of willow bark (from which a salicylate is derived) as an aid to the pains of childbirth. However, overdosage of salicylates can harm body fluids, electrolytes, the CNS, the GI tract, the ears, the lungs, the blood, the liver, and the kidneys and cause coma or death.

Did you know?

All adverse reactions are commonly charted in red ink in the patient's record and usually are noted on the front of the chart. Failure to follow correct documentation procedures may result in malpractice lawsuits.

Did you know?

The National Institutes of Health have supported research into acupuncture. This has shown that acupuncture significantly reduced pain associated with osteoarthritis of the knee, when used as a complement to conventional therapies.

Did you know?

Although not all of the following muscle groups are commonly used, intramuscular injections may be given into the abdominals, biceps, calves, deltoids, gluteals, laterals, pectorals, quadriceps, trapezoids, and triceps.

Did you know?

The human body produces and destroys 15 million blood cells every second.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library