Author Question: The nurse is caring for a patient recently diagnosed with cancer. The patient states, I really never ... (Read 41 times)

V@ndy87

The nurse is caring for a patient recently diagnosed with cancer. The patient states, I really never believed in a god or followed any religion. Should I do something now? What is the most appropriate response by the nurse?

a. Religion and spirituality are not for everyone. If you've not had it in your life to this point, you may not need it.
  b. I am a Catholic and it works for me. Would you like me to tell you about my religion?
  c. It is important to have some religion or spirituality in your life as it can help you get through difficult times.
  d. It is up to you. If you would like, I can arrange for one of our nondenominational chaplains to come and speak with you.

Question 2

A patient with attention deficit disorder is admitted to the hospital with type 1 diabetes.

Which nursing diagnosis is commonly yet inappropriately used but should be avoided for this type of patient? Assume there are data to support all the diagnoses.
  a. Deficient Recall (disease process)
  b. Impaired Ability to Learn related to Fear and Anxiety
  c. Difficulty Learning related to Cognitive Developmental Level
  d. Lack of Motivation to Learn related to Feelings of Powerlessness

tanna.moeller

Answer to Question 1

D
There are times when a nurse may not know the answer to a patient question regarding spirituality or religion. Clearly, there are times when the nurse should then refer to others with more knowledge and experience and with the patient's permission. Referring the patient to a facility chaplain is the best response by the nurse. A person may not have any religion or spirituality in his life; however, this does not mean that with changes in health status, aging, and developmental levels, a person should not reach out to ask for help or seek guidance. It is also important to understand the point at which a patient is in his thinking and not impose or convert others to ones own beliefs.

Answer to Question 2

A
Patients who have a learning disability should not have an identified nursing diagnosis of Deficient Recall; instead, they should have a diagnosis that accurately identifies their problem, such as Impaired Ability to Learn related to Fear and Anxiety; Difficulty Learning related to Cognitive Development Level; or Lack of Motivation to Learn related to Feelings of Powerlessness. Note that these are not NANDA-I diagnoses.