This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient is diagnosed with a sprained right ankle. The nurse should instruct the patient about ... (Read 59 times)

chandani

A patient is diagnosed with a sprained right ankle. The nurse should instruct the patient about which treatment for the sprain?

1. applying of a long leg cast
  2. pain medication
  3. heat, rest, compression, and elevation
  4. rest, ice, compression, and elevation

Question 2

A patient is recovering from endoscopic carpal tunnel surgery. The nurse knows that the surgery has been effective based on which patient statement?

1. I only feel numbness when I've been on the computer for more than 15 minutes.
  2. I guess in a couple of months the numbness will go away.
  3. I will always have some tingling in my fingers after I've been on the computer.
  4. I'm not feeling tingling or numbness in my thumb or index finger any longer.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

flexer1n1

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 4

The interventions in RICE therapy allow the injured muscle, ligament or tendon to heal (rest), cause vasoconstriction and reduce pain (ice), decrease edema formation and pain (compression), and promote venous return to decrease edema and pain (elevation). Casts, pain medication, and heat are not indicated in the treatment of a sprain.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 4

Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs as a result of inflammation and swelling of the synovial lining of the tendon sheath, which causes irritation of the median nerve. After the release of the carpal tunnel, the patient should have no further problems with numbness, tingling, or pain. The other statements would indicate that the surgery has not been effective.

chandani

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Excellent

Dnite

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Hippocrates noted that blood separates into four differently colored liquids when removed from the body and examined: a pure red liquid mixed with white liquid material with a yellow-colored froth at the top and a black substance that settles underneath; he named these the four humors (for blood, phlegm, yellow bile, and black bile).

Did you know?

About 3.2 billion people, nearly half the world population, are at risk for malaria. In 2015, there are about 214 million malaria cases and an estimated 438,000 malaria deaths.

Did you know?

After 5 years of being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, one every three patients will no longer be able to work.

Did you know?

Oxytocin is recommended only for pregnancies that have a medical reason for inducing labor (such as eclampsia) and is not recommended for elective procedures or for making the birthing process more convenient.

Did you know?

Coca-Cola originally used coca leaves and caffeine from the African kola nut. It was advertised as a therapeutic agent and "pickerupper." Eventually, its formulation was changed, and the coca leaves were removed because of the effects of regulation on cocaine-related products.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library