This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient is diagnosed with a sprained right ankle. The nurse should instruct the patient about ... (Read 60 times)

chandani

A patient is diagnosed with a sprained right ankle. The nurse should instruct the patient about which treatment for the sprain?

1. applying of a long leg cast
  2. pain medication
  3. heat, rest, compression, and elevation
  4. rest, ice, compression, and elevation

Question 2

A patient is recovering from endoscopic carpal tunnel surgery. The nurse knows that the surgery has been effective based on which patient statement?

1. I only feel numbness when I've been on the computer for more than 15 minutes.
  2. I guess in a couple of months the numbness will go away.
  3. I will always have some tingling in my fingers after I've been on the computer.
  4. I'm not feeling tingling or numbness in my thumb or index finger any longer.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

flexer1n1

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 4

The interventions in RICE therapy allow the injured muscle, ligament or tendon to heal (rest), cause vasoconstriction and reduce pain (ice), decrease edema formation and pain (compression), and promote venous return to decrease edema and pain (elevation). Casts, pain medication, and heat are not indicated in the treatment of a sprain.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 4

Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs as a result of inflammation and swelling of the synovial lining of the tendon sheath, which causes irritation of the median nerve. After the release of the carpal tunnel, the patient should have no further problems with numbness, tingling, or pain. The other statements would indicate that the surgery has not been effective.

chandani

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

amcvicar

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

The liver is the only organ that has the ability to regenerate itself after certain types of damage. As much as 25% of the liver can be removed, and it will still regenerate back to its original shape and size. However, the liver cannot regenerate after severe damage caused by alcohol.

Did you know?

Your chance of developing a kidney stone is 1 in 10. In recent years, approximately 3.7 million people in the United States were diagnosed with a kidney disease.

Did you know?

Cyanide works by making the human body unable to use oxygen.

Did you know?

Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus or MRSA was discovered in 1961 in the United Kingdom. It if often referred to as a superbug. MRSA infections cause more deaths in the United States every year than AIDS.

Methicilli ...
Did you know?

Nearly all drugs pass into human breast milk. How often a drug is taken influences the amount of drug that will pass into the milk. Medications taken 30 to 60 minutes before breastfeeding are likely to be at peak blood levels when the baby is nursing.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library