This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is reviewing the results of the patient's diagnostic tests. Using the information provided ... (Read 100 times)

beccaep

The nurse is reviewing the results of the patient's diagnostic tests. Using the information provided as a reference, determine which physician order the nurse should question based on the patient's most likely diagnosis.

1. fluid restriction of 1500 mL per 24 hours
  2. administer acetylcysteine (Mucomyst)
  3. perform endotracheal suctioning as needed
  4. administer azithromycin

Question 2

The nurse is reviewing the diagnostic test results from the time of admission with the patient. Which statement indicates that the patient requires further education about the health problem, judging from the information provided?

1. I have to be in isolation so that I won't infect anyone else.
  2. I'm surprised that the hospital has to report this to the health department.
  3. Adults have a worse time with the disease than kids do.
  4. Just go ahead and give me an antibiotic so that I can get on with my life.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

momtoalll

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1
After reviewing the patient's laboratory test results, the nurse would accurately determine that the patient has developed pneumonia. It is expected that the nurse would encourage the patient to increase fluid intake to 25003000 mL per day because this will help liquefy the secretions in the lungs. This will make it easier to cough the secretions up and expectorate them. The nurse would not expect the physician to write an order for a fluid restriction. The patient may require the administration of acetylcysteine to help break up the patient's thick secretions to make them easier to expectorate. Endotracheal suctioning may be required if the patient's cough is ineffective. Azithromycin is a macrolide, which is a broad-spectrum antibiotic that is often effective against pneumonia.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 4
This patient most likely has SARS. At this time, no medications have been shown to be consistently effective in treating SARS. Standard precautions are implemented along with contact and airborne precautions. Healthcare providers and public health personnel should report cases of SARS to state and local health departments. The disease is less severe in children than in adults.

Did you know?

Signs and symptoms of a drug overdose include losing consciousness, fever or sweating, breathing problems, abnormal pulse, and changes in skin color.

Did you know?

Glaucoma is a leading cause of blindness. As of yet, there is no cure. Everyone is at risk, and there may be no warning signs. It is six to eight times more common in African Americans than in whites. The best and most effective way to detect glaucoma is to receive a dilated eye examination.

Did you know?

The effects of organophosphate poisoning are referred to by using the abbreviations “SLUD” or “SLUDGE,” It stands for: salivation, lacrimation, urination, defecation, GI upset, and emesis.

Did you know?

Amphetamine poisoning can cause intravascular coagulation, circulatory collapse, rhabdomyolysis, ischemic colitis, acute psychosis, hyperthermia, respiratory distress syndrome, and pericarditis.

Did you know?

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) in overdose can seriously damage the liver. It should never be taken by people who use alcohol heavily; it can result in severe liver damage and even a condition requiring a liver transplant.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library